ValJax is a company that produces a number of diverse products, including kitchen knives. Though the company isn’t widely known for their kitchen knives, their offerings are impressive. The ValJax Premium Stainless Steel 12-Piece Kitchen Knife Set demonstrates that they have both the technical know-how and flair for design needed to create a balanced set of knives that look great on the counter and, more importantly, do a fine job when it comes to food preparation.
ValJax Premium Stainless Steel 12-Piece Kitchen Knife Set Features
- The set is made up of 8-inch chef and bread knives, a 7-inch santoku knife, six steak knives measuring at 4.5 inches each, a 2.5-inch paring knife, an 8-inch sharpener, and a wooden knife block made from bamboo.
- The blades are forged from high carbon stainless steel.
- All knives have poly handles ergonomically-designed to fit the contours of the hand.
- Durable construction keeps up with demanding daily use.
- Knife block is attractive, with observable slots.
- The wooden block is made from bamboo and sports a unique design. The knives sit in two long rows, with their blades showcased via slits in the outer bamboo, adding to the set’s overall visual appeal.
- The slits in the knife block allow the blades to breathe. If the knives are replaced while still damp, residual moisture on the blades evaporates quickly preventing rust.
- Each knife is made from a single piece of high carbon steel and has a full tang. The tang is connected to the handle with three rivets, making each knife extremely strong. If the poly part of the handle does break, it can easily be replaced.
- Even though they have a full tang, the knives feel quite light and well-balanced.
- The knives arrive professionally sharpened and won’t require much maintenance initially. A sharpening tool is included with the set which can be used when the blades do begin to dull.
- The steak knives have two edge types. They’re serrated towards the tip of the blade and straight towards the back, enabling versatile cutting depending on the food.
- The chef’s knife is hefty without being awkward. Expect it to cut a soft-skinned tomato without mushing it.
- The santoku knife does an excellent job of slicing up vegetables and herbs. Food won’t stick to its surface thanks to the divots along its edge.
- The bread knife has a fully serrated edge and can yield very thin bread slices with minimal effort.
- As with similar knives made from high carbon stainless steel, rust spots can develop on the blades over time. This can be avoided by thoroughly cleaning and drying the knives after you’re done using them. They must only be hand-washed.
- The poly handles don’t have any kind of texturing to prevent slippage. This isn’t a problem most of the time since the material isn’t slippery, but when you cut up greasy or slimy foods and the residue gets on your hands, there’s a chance that the handle might slip up.
- The knife block is situated at an angle and elevated towards the back. If you have low kitchen cabinets, the knives in the back will get stuck and can’t be removed unless the whole block is moved to the front of the counter.
As professional knife sets go, ValJax’s offering is a mid-tier collection of useful knives that perform as expected given their price. A little care is called for to make sure that they don’t become rusty, but people in the know will recognize the maintenance required to keep them stainless as a sign of the knives’ superior quality, rather than a shortcoming. The ValJax Premium Stainless Steel 12-Piece Kitchen Knife Set will enhance any kitchen in a professional as well as an aesthetic sense.