This 14-piece knife set by Chicago Cutlery is a great foundational set for an aspiring chef. The set is divided into two detachable wooden blocks, making the set both easy to transport and store.
- The set consists of 8-inch chef and bread knives, 5-inch santoku and utility knives, six 4.5-inch steak knives, a peeler and a paring knife measuring 3.5 and 3.25 inches respectively and two wooden blocks.
- Each blade is made from stamped steel and is coated with a nonstick layer.
- Ergonomically-shaped and slip-resistant handles ensure a sturdy grip whatever you’re cutting and however moist or oily your hands may be.
- Nesting wooden blocks easily fit together and can be used separately as well.
- The set comes with a limited lifetime warranty, which covers defects caused by the manufacturer.
- The handles respond very well to the touch and feel comfortable in the hand. There are dots on each handle that show exactly where you need to place your hand in order to hold the knife correctly.
- Molded handles have no holes or recesses where leftover food could settle, so they’re more hygienic than riveted ones.
- The peeler and paring knife both do an excellent job at their respective tasks, and even though they are both rather small, each fits well in the hand and can be used effectively on small fruits and vegetables.
- The knives’ weight suggests their quality. Each has a bit of heft to it and is superbly balanced, so cutting through any kind of fruit, meat, or vegetable is effortless.
- The included santoku knife is excellent for slicing up vegetables or mincing meat. Once the food is prepared, its width allows you to scoop it up on the knife and into a pot in one smooth motion.
- The detachable smaller knife holder offers easy and quick access to the steak knives and looks stylish on its own on the counter and the dining table alike.
- The nonstick coating’s black color gives the knives a sophisticated appearance. It also performs well when the knives are used with sticky or slippery foods, releasing them as soon as they’re sliced and protecting you from injury.
- Since nothing sticks to the knives’ surface, they can be thoroughly cleaned with dish soap and water in no time at all.
- The sharpness of each knife is excellent out of the box. Given the high-quality of the steel used to produce them, the knives can be used extensively before requiring sharpening.
- If any piece happens to have a defect, Chicago Cutlery will exchange it for a new one free of charge under their warranty. Even if this particular line gets discontinued, the company will issue a similar or better-quality replacement.
- The coating is sensitive and can be damaged easily if the knives are washed in a dishwasher. As with most high quality knives, the manufacturer recommends washing them by hand only.
- The blade coating makes sharpening these knives challenging. Honing must be done with care to avoid damaging the non-stick finish.
- The handles don’t have a full tang. They are molded instead. This makes them weaker and more prone to breaking.
- The smaller black box can develop visually unappealing scratches if knives are stored carelessly or with haste.
- Five of the six steak knives do not have a serrated edge, but a straight one. This makes them prone to dulling more quickly.They will have to be sharpened more frequently than most knives.
The 14-piece ProHold set is a solid set of knives. It is versatile enough to help its user get acquainted with a variety of uses and techniques.
The materials used in production ensure that the knives will remain in use long after basic skills have been mastered.
While more expensive than some of its competitors, this set that offers a lot for its asking price and would make a great gift for any chef.